OnePlus got famous for its budget flagship mobiles. But, In the long run, they slowly join in the regular flagship price range. Since OnePlus are in the situation of providing premium-level features, they can’t reduce the price. But, To make stay the budget-friendly user, they begin to release the “Nord” series with mid-range specs. OnePlus Nord came with Android 10 and got Android 11. Oxygen OS is far better than any other custom UI. But when you are a root user and want to use Lineage OS, you can flash OnePlus Nord Lineage OS 17.1 Android 10 using the below method. You should have a custom recovery like TWRP to flash custom ROMs.
It is the official version, which means it is fully compatible with your mobile and free from most of the major bugs. Official Custom ROMs are always better. They are free from significant bugs and will receive regular patch updates. With custom recovery installed on your mobile, you should have root access to flash the firmware.
Table of Contents
Why should you flash Official Lineage OS 17.1 Android 10 on OnePlus Nord?
We are thankful for the Hard Work of the Lineage OS team. Without this team, this method is not possible. Your mobile has 6 GB of RAM. It is more than enough for everyday usage and heavy usage too. Your mobile will not receive regular patch updates officially from OnePlus; Coming to CPU- Your mobile has a Flagship-level Qualcomm SM7250 Snapdragon 765G. Coming to OS, It is near Oxygen OS With some added features. Some users prefer Stock Android with some Pixel phone features. If you are one, you can use this official Pixel Experience ROM. It is near the Stock Android with a lot of custom-added features. You can experience most of the Pixel phone features.
If we optimize correctly with the correct OS after rooting, we can see some Improvements. So, after rooting, can I expect a Lag-free experience? Probably. Also, if we hibernate and eliminate a lot of unwanted apps and optimize some apps, your device is hardware limited. But, within these limits, we can enhance the performance by 30-40% compared with your old usage. If you use Pixel Experience Custom ROMs, you can expect a 50-80% improvement in performance.
How to Install OnePlus Nord Lineage OS 17.1 Android 10 Official ROM
OnePlus Nord comes with a flexible bootloader other than Verizon devices. Verizon devices come with a locked Bootloader. This means that We can easily root different smartphone variants. Also, the device can accept to install TWRP recovery or any other custom recovery file/app alike.
TWRP recovery is a custom recovery file that We must install on OnePlus devices because you can root them successfully. This article explained the easiest method to follow and install TWRP recovery on the OnePlus Nord. However, the tool required for rooting this device is the Magisk App.
With the help of TWRP Recovery, you can quickly flash the latest version of Lineage OS into your OnePlus Nord. Before sharing the tutorial, you may want to know that, with the TWRP recovery present on your device, you can easily install any custom ROM or firmware. Does it seem complicated? Relax; We will explain everything succinctly in bullets. If you didn’t root your mobile, Refer- to Root OnePlus Nord.
Things to check out for;
Check your device model number.
- It would help if you had TWRP installed on your mobile.
Make sure your device battery is charged above 50%
You should Backup your current files and data, just in case (save them on external storage using TWRP Backup).
Enable USB Debugging Mode and OEM Unlock on your mobile. To do this, go to settings >>> about >>> Tap on the “Build Number” 7-10 times consistently to enable “Developer Options,” then go to the “Developer Options” and enable USB Debugging Mode and OEM Unlock. There is no complicated process in the OnePlus Nord.
- Download OnePlus Nord Lineage ROM 17.1 and copy it to your Mobile/ Pendrive OTG Cable. There are plenty of works that We can do with OTG Cable.
- avicii (Oneplus Nord).
Flash Lineage OS using TWRP
- Switch off your device. Then, enter into Recovery mode. To do this, press and hold down the Volume Down + Power buttons simultaneously for some time. At the same time, you are holding Volume Down, release Power Button. Choose recovery in Fastboot.
Press the Volume Up button to continue when you see the warning message.
- Now it Will Boot into TWRP Recovery Mode.
- Select Wipe->Advance Wipe->Select Cache, Dalvik, System Data. System Data will delete all files, including your Current OS.
- Return to Home of TWRP select Install.
- Select Lineage OS.Zip.
- After the Installation, Reboot Your Mobile.
- We have successfully Installed Lineage OS on our mobile.
Install Gapps for OnePlus Nord
Google Apps Called Gapps. That is Pre-Installed on all Android Mobiles. Google apps are Gmail, Google Maps, Play Store, YouTube, Google+, Search, Google Docs, Google Music, etc. These Gapps are not Pre-Installed With Custom ROMs Like CyanogenMod and others, Due to Some License Problems. All the Gapps Applications are the property of Google. There is no Re-modification in the Gapps.
- Install the CPU Hardware app on your mobile. Go to CPU and Note down your Architecture. It is essential to select the correct Gapps for your mobile.
- Download Gapps For OnePlus Nord Lineage Oreo Official ROM 17.1 Android 10 version and Copy it into your Internal Memory. If you are confused with the Packages, you can refer Official Gapps Package comparison.
- Switch Off Your Mobile. Boot it into recovery mode->Volume Up+ Power Button.
- Now it Will Boot into TWRP Recovery Mode.
- Select Wipe->Advance Wipe->Select Cache Data.
- Return to Home of TWRP select Install. Select Gapps.Zip.
- After the Installation, Reboot Your Mobile.
OnePlus Nord Lineage OS 17.1 Android 10 Features
There are a lot of features added in Lineage OS 17.1. Here I mentioned some Important features.
- Lineage OS 17.1 is Android 10 Stock Android ROM with System-Wide Color options available. Dark, Grey themes are also available.
- We have optimized Recent apps Switcher.
- Volume Rocker contains Silent/Vibrate/Mute Options with Easy adjustable navigation.
- Notification enhanced. Instead of replying to a single message, you can now respond to the whole conversation.
- Lock Screen Visualizer for music.
- New Set of Emoji.
- Notification light can be configured with a lot of colors.
- Google Camera app, All Banking apps, and Payment apps will work without issues.
- Digital Wellbeing- Optimize your time with Social Network interaction. Also, We added the new flip to shhh features.
- Adaptive Battery- Better Battery optimization.
You know this already; if you turn on Subtitles on Youtube, It will auto-generate the captions. It Doesn’t require Wi-Fi/ Data. We can work on the Same functionality all over your device videos. This feature is not yet available. But, It will be rolling out soon.
Languages are limited as per Google Data.
It is already available in the Pie version. But it is limited. Now you can explore more actions when you get the messages. You can Open Links, Open Apps based on the messages.
Now we can adjust the Volume and Tune, Equalize using the in-built feature. You can do many things like Reduce noise, Enhance the Tune like that. We always do this using Third-party apps.
Enhanced Gesture Navigation
The True Gesture Navigation has finally arrived. It may not be best compared with OnePlus devices, But It is way better than the Pie 9.0 version. If you swipe From Left to Right, It goes forward. Right to Left goes Backward. Home button work as usual. We can access recently used apps By Swiping Quarter Screen to the Top. Simple navigation to avoid confusion.
It is not like Night Mode. It didn’t add a filter in the Display. If you have OLED Display, It will surely save your battery power from 5-30% based on your usage.
Google always added enhanced Privacy features in every Android version. In the 10th version, You can handle your Privacy a lot better. It will always tell you when your installed apps access your location in the background to manage whether you need that permission on Always or During the app usage.
Direct System Updates
Unlike regular OTA updates from your Manufacturers, the regular patch updates will be handled by Google After you update to the Android 10 version. Due to we are in Custom ROM, we have to update our OS manually. It can be done using your Google Play App. If you have Custom Skin OS from your Manufacturer, Google will not change the UI. They will handle only Patch updates. It is one of the most critical steps taken from their side. It will help all the users who are tired of their Manufacturer’s Late updates.
It can be an additional function of Digital well-being. Now you can Pause some apps to avoid the Notifications For a short time or a Long time. Some mobiles are made based on this scenario. To avoid distractions and get focused on what you are doing. Think you are Studying, and a Single Whatsapp message can redirect you. With the help of this feature, you can use only Study apps during your Study time.
It is like Parental Control. You can control the App Timings within your Added Google Accounts.
Other improvements and changes
- HEIF Image, Monochrome Camera Support.
- New Set of Emoji.
- Enhanced Adaptive Battery Improvements compared with the Pie version.
- Contaminant Detection- Your mobile will alert you if any moistures are in your USB Ports.
- Full device encryption supported.
- The new Partial screenshot option allows you to capture a small part of the screen.
- Adapted Theme selector allows you to change system-wide colors, Icons, and Sizes.
- Now Wi-Fi Display option is available.
- Support for Rotate and Pop-Up cameras added in the update.
OnePlus Nord is a Flagship-level device when released; We can expect Some Improvement by rooting. But, If you use Lineage Custom Roms, you can expect considerable performance Improvement. So, If you have little knowledge of tech and know what you are doing, you can Root and flash Lineage Custom ROM. If you flash other Custom ROM, check what is working and not working. It is wise to use Some Official Custom ROMs like Lineage. Like Lineage OS, there are plenty of other best Pie 9.0 based custom ROMs that are available for your device. If you feel you are limited with Hardware, Trust me, 6 GB RAM is more than enough for regular usage. Refer- How much RAM do you need. During the process, if you face any problems, comment below.
Selva Kumar is an Android Devices Enthusiast, Who Can Talk and Write About Anything If You Give a Hint About the respective devices. He is a Computer Science Graduate and Certified Android Developer, Making His Career towards this Technology. He is always eager to try new Android devices — not only Software level but Hardware-level Also. Beyond this, He is a Good Swimmer, Guitarist.