Nokia 6.1 aka Nokia 6 2018 was released with 4 GB RAM and Snapdragon 660 Processor. It is a Mid-Range phone. The beauty here is OS. It comes with Android One, means; you will get the official Stock Android updates from Google for Two Years. After that, you may or may not get the updates based on your mobile compatibility with the new OS. Most of the users root their mobile because of the Custom Skin OS. Here we have a Stock OS. We have enough RAM that can survive for Mid-Range apps and some heavy apps. If you are a regular user, I don’t recommend you to root your mobile. After rooting, your mobile will not get Official OTA updates. You have to sideload future updates manually. If you are a developer who loves to use Custom ROMs like Lineage, and you have a reason, you can use the below method to achieve root on your mobile.
Why should you Root Nokia 6.1?
We thank TWRP team for the official TWRP. Without them, this method can’t happen. So, If you planned to root, you should have a proper reason, and you know what you are doing. Yes, with a minimum of 4 GB RAM and Qualcomm SDM630 Snapdragon 630 processor, You can use this mobile without root for 2-3 Years If you use correctly. Don’t root because everybody is saying when root your mobile it can become the fastest mobile in the world. No. Rooting is to extract some performance from the device. But, you already have Powerful specs and software. So, If you are addicted to some root apps, you can root. But, if you want to test, I won’t recommend it.
How to Root Nokia 6.1 Pie 9.0
Nokia 6.1 International Variants comes with a flexible bootloader. But some new devices come with locked Bootloader. This means that different smartphone variants can be easily rooted. Also, the device can accept to install TWRP recovery or any other custom recovery file/app alike.
TWRP recovery is a custom recovery file which must be installed on your devices because you can root them successfully. In this article, we explained the easiest method to follow and install TWRP recovery on Nokia 6.1. However, the tool required for rooting this device is the Magisk App.
With the help of TWRP Recovery, you can quickly flash the latest version of Magisk into your Nokia 6.1 to gain root access. Before sharing the tutorial, you may want to know that, with the TWRP recovery present on your device, you can easily install any custom ROM or firmware. Does it seem complicated? Relax, everything will be explained succinctly in bullets.
Things to check out for;
Make sure your device battery is charged above 50%
Backup your current files and data, full data loss process (save them on external storage).
Enable USB Debugging Mode and OEM Unlock on your mobile. To do this; go to settings >>> about >>> Tap on the “Build Number” 7-10 times consistently to enable “Developer Options,” then go to the “Developer Options” and enable USB Debugging Mode, OEM Unlock and Enable the ‘Advanced Reboot.’ There is no complicated process in Nokia 6.1.
Also, download the regular Partition Fastboot drivers Install It in your PC.
- Download Magisk.Zip (Latest Version) and Copy it to Your External Memory.
Download and save the TWRP File in your Internal Memory and rename it to recovery.img. Here we are going to flash the TWRP not boot directly. If you only boot TWRP, you should install TWRP installer also.
- Switch off your device. Then, enter into Fastboot/Download mode. To do this; press and hold down the Volume Down+ Power buttons and Insert Micro USB Cable which should be connected with your PC.
You can see the “Download mode” warning message.
Launch the fastboot on your computer. Open a Command prompt on your PC and type below command.
- fastboot flash boot recovery.img
- After the above successful command, Type below command.
- fastboot reboot
- After the process complete, It will boot into the TWRP. Don’t Boot into standard OS until we flash boot image and magisk.
Create and flash Stock Boot.img file
You already in TWRP of your mobile. Open a Command prompt on your PC and type below command.
- adb devices
- Above command will show some device ID codes, means your mobile is Successful makes a connection with the ADB process. Now type the below command.
- dd if=/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/boot of=/sdcard/boot.img
- After the process complete, you can find boot.img file in Internal Storage. Now Navigate to Home of TWRP Select Install, Select boot.img.
- After the process complete, Again Go to Home of TWRP. If anything happens, wrong Stock Boot can save us. You can flash Stock Boot and flash your firmware to repair your mobile.
Install TWRP Installer and Magisk on your Nokia 6.1 using TWRP
- Return to Home of TWRP select Install.
- Select twrp-installer-3.3.1-0-PL2.zip from your mobile.
- After the Installation, Select Wipe->Advance Wipe->Select Dalvik, Data, Internal Storage. Don’t Wipe System Data.
- Again Return to Home of TWRP select Install.
- Select Magisk.zip from your mobile.
- Reboot your mobile.
- You can also install Magisk Manager in your Mobile Applications.
Nokia 6.1 has a minimum of 4 GB RAM, and it is a Well Optimized phone; There are Major regular updates and monthly updates, from Nokia for a long duration. If you compare it with Old Nokia devices, they still receiving updates. So, you should know what you are doing and the real purpose, you can root your device.
Selva Kumar is a Technology Enthusiast, Who Can Talk and Write About Anything If You Give a Hint About the Technology. He is a Computer Science Graduate, Making His Career towards this Technology.