Most of the Moto mobiles come with a near-stock Android version. So, They can survive with minimal specs with no performance difference. Users prefer Custom ROMs when they have o deal with their mobile manufacturers highly customized themes like skin OS. So, When you have Moto mobiles, you don’t need to worry about full of Bloatware apps. Even if sometimes Moto installs some Bloatware apps, they can be removable, or they are useful. But if you are a frequent Custom ROM user and you can’t find the features that are available with Stock ROM, you can install custom ROMs. Below are going to guide you on how you can install Moto G7 Plus Lineage OS 17.1 Android 10 Official ROM. Since it is an official version, It will receive frequent updates, and it is free from significant bugs.
Even if you are a regular user, I advise you to go for root and flash this custom ROM to stay secure with the latest patch updates. It is the official version, which means it is fully compatible with your mobile and free from most of the major bugs. Official Custom ROMs are always better. They are free from significant issues and will receive regular patch updates. To flash the firmware, you should have root access with Custom recovery installed on your mobile.
Why should you flash Official Lineage OS 17.1 Android 10 on Moto G7 Plus?
We are thankful for the Hard Work of the Lineage OS team. Without this team, this method is not possible. Your mobile has 4 GB of RAM. It is more than enough for everyday usage. But, the problem is Moto is slow in maintaining the security patch and Major upgrades; It has a Mid-level Qualcomm SDM636 Snapdragon 636 processor. But coming to OS, You already have a Stock Android OS. The OS is not old. You will receive Android 10 soon. But, If you are comfortable using custom ROMs, you can use Lineage OS. Most of the users use Lineage ROM for the Stock Android Experience. If you love extra Lineage OS features, you can use this official Lineage OS. It is near the Stock Android with a lot of features.
If we optimize correctly with correct Lineage OS after rooting, we can see some Improvements. So, after rooting, I can expect a Lag-free experience? Probably. Also, if we hibernate and eliminate a lot of unwanted apps and optimize some apps, your device is hardware limited. But, within these limits, we can enhance the performance by 30-40% compared with your old usage. If you use Lineage Custom ROMs, you can expect a 50-80% improvement in performance.
How to Install Moto G7 Plus Lineage OS 17.1 Android 10 Official ROM
Moto G7 Plus comes with a flexible bootloader other than Verizon devices. Verizon devices come with a locked Bootloader. It means that different smartphone variants can be easily rooted. Also, the device can accept to install TWRP recovery or any other custom recovery file/app alike.
TWRP recovery is a custom recovery file that must be installed on Moto devices because you can root them successfully. In this article, we explained the easiest method to follow and install TWRP recovery on the Moto G7 Plus. However, the tool required for rooting this device is the Magisk App.
With the help of TWRP Recovery, you can quickly flash the latest version of Lineage OS into your Moto G7 Plus. Before sharing the tutorial, you may want to know that, with the TWRP recovery present on your device, you can easily install any custom ROM or firmware. Does it seem complicated? Relax, everything will be explained briefly in bullets. If you didn’t root your mobile, Refer– Root Moto G7 Plus.
Things to check out for;
Check your device model number.
- Exynos processor only. Don’t try with the Snapdragon processor variants.
- It would be best if you had TWRP custom recovery installed on your mobile.
Make sure your device battery is above 50%.
You should Backup your current files and data, just in case (save them on external storage using TWRP Backup).
Enable USB Debugging Mode and OEM Unlock on your mobile. To do this; go to settings >>> about >>> Tap on the “Build Number” 7-10 times consistently to enable “Developer Options,” then go to the “Developer Options” and enable USB Debugging Mode and OEM Unlock. There is no complicated process in Moto G7 Plus.
Download Moto G7 Plus Lineage ROM 17.1 and copy it in your SD Card/ Pendrive OTG Cable. There are plenty of works that can be done with OTG Cable.
Flash Lineage OS using TWRP
- Switch off your device. Then, enter into Recovery mode. To do this, press and hold down the Volume Down button + Power Button and connect your USB Cable. While holding Volume Up, release the Power Button. Choose recovery in Fastboot.
Press the Volume Up button to continue when you see the warning message.
- Now it Will Boot into TWRP Recovery Mode.
- Select Wipe->Advance Wipe->Select Cache, Dalvik, System Data. System Data will delete all files, including your Current OS.
- Return to Home of TWRP select Install.
- Select Lineage OS.Zip.
- After the Installation Reboot Your Mobile.
- We have successfully Installed Lineage OS on our mobile.
Install Gapps For Moto G7 Plus
Google Apps Called Gapps. That is Pre-Installed on All Android Mobiles. Google apps are Gmail, Google Maps, Play Store, YouTube, Google+, Search, Google Docs, Google Music, etc. These Gapps are not Pre-Installed With Custom ROMs Like CyanogenMod and others, Due to Some License Problems. All the Gapps Applications are the property of Google. There is no Re-modification in the Gapps.
- Install the CPU Hardware app on your mobile. Go to CPU and Note down your Architecture. It is essential to select the correct Gapps for your mobile.
- Download Gapps For Moto G7 Plus Official ROM 17.1 Android 10 version and Copy it into your Internal Memory. If you are confused with the Packages, you can refer Official Gapps Package comparison.
- Switch Off Your Mobile. Boot it into recovery mode->Volume Up+ Home+ Power Button.
- Now it Will Boot into TWRP Recovery Mode.
- Select Wipe->Advance Wipe->Select Cache Data.
- Return to Home of TWRP select Install. Select Gapps.Zip.
- After the Installation Reboot Your Mobile.
Moto G7 Plus Lineage OS 17.1 Android 10 Features
There are a lot of features added in Lineage OS 17.1. Here I mentioned some Important features.
- Lineage OS 17.1 is Android 10 Stock Android ROM with System-Wide Color options available. Dark, Grey themes are also available.
- We have optimized Recent apps Switcher.
- Volume Rocker contains Silent/Vibrate/Mute Options with Easy adjustable navigation.
- Notification enhanced. Instead of replying to a single message, you can now respond to the whole conversation.
- Lock Screen Visualizer for music.
- New Set of Emoji.
- Notification light can be configured with a lot of colors.
- Google Camera app, All Banking apps, and Payment apps will work without any issues.
- Digital Wellbeing- Optimize your time with Social Network interaction. Also, the new flip to shhh features added.
- Adaptive Battery- Better Battery optimization.
You know this already; if you turn on Subtitles in the Youtube, It will auto-generate the captions. The Same functionality can be work on all over your device videos. It Doesn’t require Wi-Fi/ Data. This feature not yet available. But, It will be rolling out soon.
Languages are limited as per Google Data.
It is already available in the Pie version. But it is limited. Now you can explore more actions when you get the messages. You can Open Links, Open Apps based on the messages.
We always do this using Third-party apps. Now we can adjust the Volume and Tune, Equalize using the in-built feature. You can do a lot of things like Reduce noise, Enhance the Tune like that.
Enhanced Gesture Navigation
The True Gesture Navigation has finally arrived. It may not be best compare with OnePlus devices, But It is way better than the Pie 9.0 version. If you swipe From Left to Right, It goes forward. Right to Left goes Backward. Home button work as usual. Recently used apps can be accessed By Swiping Quarter Screen to the Top. Simple navigation to avoid confusion.
It is not like Night Mode. It didn’t add a filter in the Display. If you have OLED Display, It will surely save your battery power from 5-30% based on your usage.
Google always added enhanced Privacy features in every Android version. In the 10th version, You can handle your Privacy lot better. It will always tell you when your installed apps access your location in the background so that you can manage whether you need that permission on Always or During the app usage.
Direct System Updates
Unlike regular OTA updates from your Manufacturers, the regular patch updates will be handled by Google After you updated to the Android 10 version. It can be done using your Google Play App. If you have Custom Skin OS from your Manufacturer, Google will not change the UI. They will handle only Patch updates. This is one of the most critical steps taken from their side. It will help all the users who are tired of their Manufacturer Late updates. Due to we are in Custom ROM, we have to update our OS manually.
It can be an additional function of Digital Wellbeing. Now you can Pause some apps to avoid the Notifications For a short time or a Long time. Some mobiles are made based on this scenario. To avoid distractions and get focused on what you are doing. Think you are Studying, and a Single Whatsapp message can redirect you. With the help of this feature, you can use only Study apps during your Study time.
It is like Parental Control. You can control the App Timings within your Added Google Accounts.
Other improvements and changes
- HEIF Image, Monochrome Camera Support.
- New Set of Emoji.
- Enhanced Adaptive Battery Improvements compare with the Pie version.
- Contaminant Detection- If any moistures are in your USB Ports, your mobile will alert you.
- Full device encryption is supported.
- The new Partial screenshot option allows you to capture a small part of the screen.
- Adapted Theme selector allows you to change system-wide colors, Icons, and Size.
- Now Wi-Fi Display option is available.
- Support for Rotate and Pop-Up cameras added in the update.
Moto G7 Plus is a Mid-level device; We can expect Some Improvement by rooting. But, If you use Lineage Custom Roms, you can expect a considerable performance Improvement. So, If you have little knowledge of tech, and you know what you are doing, you can Root and flash Lineage Custom ROM. If you flash other Custom ROM, check what is working and what is not working. It is wise to use Some Official Custom ROMs like Lineage. If you feel you are limited with Hardware, Trust me, 4 GB RAM is more than enough for Heavy usage. Refer- How Much RAM you need. Like Lineage OS, there are plenty of other best Pie 9.0 based custom ROMs that are available for your device. During the process, if you face any problem, comment below.
Selva Kumar is an Android Devices Enthusiast, Who Can Talk and Write About Anything If You Give a Hint About the respective devices. He is a Computer Science Graduate, Making His Career towards this Technology. He is always eager to try new Android devices — not only Software level but Hardware-level Also. Beyond this, He is a Good Swimmer, Guitarist.