Sony Xperia devices are always unique in some way. Their dedication towards both Hardware and Software are still high. They provide regular patch updates and Major upgrades to all their device. Sony Xperia XZ1 got Pie 9.0 update. When coming to developing techniques like rooting, Sony devices need some additional steps. Fortunately, they support the official bootloader unlock process, that makes the process quite comfortable if you are a regular user. In my opinion, you don’t need to root your mobile until you have a strong reason. Rooted mobiles need proper optimizations. You will lose Official updates from Sony. You have to update your OS If there is a critical update manually. Compare with other Manufacturers; Sony always provides Software support. If you are a Developer or regular root apps user, you can follow below guide to Root your mobile.
Read the article thoroughly before starting the process. It will give some ideas for the preparation. If you planned to flash Custom ROMs, you should check what will work and whatnot. Unofficial ROMs may contain a lot of significant bugs. If you want to install the update using TWRP, after the firmware flash, you should flash Magisk every time.
Why should you Root Sony Xperia XZ1?
We thank XDA Developer- topjohnwu, oF2pks (Who successfully tested this method) and linckandrea (For the Kernel file) Without their hard work, We can’t make this method. Coming to root, you should have a proper reason, and you know what you are doing. Yes, with a minimum of 4 GB RAM and Qualcomm MSM8998 Snapdragon 835 processor, You can use this mobile for regular tasks without root for 2-3 Years If you use correctly. Software is better compared with other manufacturers, Custom skin OS. Don’t root because everybody is saying when root your mobile it can become fastest. No. Rooting is to extract some performance from the device. But, you already have Powerful specs and software. So, If you are addicted to some root apps, you can root. But, if you want to test, I won’t recommend it.
How to Root Sony Xperia XZ1 Pie 9.0 (G8341/G8342 Dual/G8343)
Sony Xperia XZ1 International Variants comes with a flexible bootloader other than some carrier locked devices. This means that different smartphone variants can be easily rooted. Also, the device can accept to install TWRP recovery or any other custom recovery file/app alike.
TWRP recovery is a custom recovery file which must be installed on your devices because you can root them successfully. In this article, we explained the easiest method to follow and install TWRP recovery on Sony Xperia XZ1. However, the tool required for rooting this device is the Magisk App.
With the help of TWRP Recovery, you can quickly flash the latest version of Magisk into your Xperia XZ1 to gain root access. Before sharing the tutorial, you may want to know that, with the TWRP recovery present on your device, you can easily install any custom ROM or firmware. Does it seem complicated? Relax, everything will be explained succinctly in bullets.
Things to check out for;
Make sure your device battery is charged above 50%
Backup your current files and data, full data loss process (save them on external storage).
Enable USB Debugging Mode and OEM Unlock on your mobile. To do this; go to settings >>> about >>> Tap on the “Build Number” 7-10 times consistently to enable “Developer Options,” then go to the “Developer Options” and enable USB Debugging Mode, OEM Unlock. There is no complicated process in Sony Xperia XZ1.
Also, download the ADB drivers. Install it on your PC.
- Pie Kernel (Optional) Download and Copy it to Your PC. This file helps you to maintain the Bootloader unlock and debug some Root issues in your device.
Download and save the TWRP File on your PC and rename it to recovery.img.
- modified-twrp-3-3-1-poplar-XZ1-Pie (All the variants)
- Copy all the above files into the Fastboot folder.
Unlock the bootloader using ADB and Fastboot
Your mobile should be supported to get the unlock code. Check this using the below step. If your mobile is supported get the code and unlock using unlock stages.
- Go to Sony Developers Official Page to check if your device model is accepted for this.
You should signup for a new Sony Xperia account or log in with details to an existing account. Alternatively, you can use your Gmail account.
The device must be connected to the internet
Dual SIM Sony devices have two IMEI numbers. Use the IMEI 1 to get the exact unlock code for your device
This action works for all Sony Android devices. However, you still have to check out if your device model supports such action (unlocking the bootloader);
If your device is supported, then, go ahead with the steps below to unlock the boot loader.
Open your phone dialer and dial this code – *#*#7378423#*#*
Go to Service Info >>> configuration >>> rooting status >>> Check to see if bootloader unlocking is allowed or not. If it is allowed, then continue below.
Get the “download_inf.zip” file and paste it into the folder where you installed ADB and Fastboot.
Dial *#06# and copy down your Sony Mobile IMEI number.
Return to the Sony Official page, select your device model, and provide your Email Id.
You will receive a link to your Email id, click on the link to get the Unlock code to use and unlock your bootloader.
- Switch off your device. Then, enter into Fastboot mode. To do this; press and hold down the Volume Down button connect mobile to your PC using a USB Cable.
Go to the ADB and Fastboot folder, Launch the fastboot on your computer. Open a Command prompt on your PC and type the below command.
- fastboot devices
- It should display the connected devices. If you didn’t get the device, restart the command prompt and Disconnect and Connect your Sony Xperia XZ1. If you are detected type the below command and Hit Enter.
- fastboot oem unlock 0x<insert your unlock code>
Note: you have to replace the key with your own generated Key
Tap “Enter” and wait for some time
Your mobile bootloader is now unlocked, reboot the device. Move to flash TWRP steps.
- Switch off your device. Then, enter into Fastboot mode. To do this; press and hold down the Volume Down button connect mobile to your PC using USB Cable.
Launch the fastboot on your computer. Open a Command prompt on your PC and type below command.
- fastboot devices
- It should display the connected devices. If you didn’t get the device, restart the command prompt and Disconnect and Connect your Sony Xperia XZ1. If you are detected type below command and Hit Enter.
- fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
- After the process complete, Type below command to boot into TWRP.
- fastboot reboot
- If you can’t reboot your mobile using above command, Press Volume Down+ Power button to exit Fastboot mode. When the screen goes off, Immediately Press Volume Up + Power buttons to boot into Recovery mode.
- It will boot into the temporary TWRP. Don’t Boot into standard OS until we flash magisk.
Install Magisk, and Kernel in your Sony Xperia XZ1 using TWRP
- In TWRP, Make a full Backup on External SD Card or Pendrive using OTG Cable.
- After the process complete, Reboot to Bootloader using TWRP Option. Reboot->Reboot Bootloader.
- Go to TWRP menu. Select Wipe->Advance Wipe->Select Cache Data.
- Return to Home of TWRP select Install.
- Select Magisk.Zip.
- Again Return to Home of TWRP select Install.
- Select Kernel.Zip.
- After the Installation Reboot Your Mobile.
- You can also install Magisk Manager in your Mobile Applications. Download Root Checker to check your mobile root status.
In my opinion, you don’t need to root for your Sony Xperia XZ1. If you thought, you could Improve Performance By root; With the Qualcomm MSM8998 Snapdragon 835 Octa-Core processor and 4 GB RAM, your device can perform well. If you don’t know how much RAM you need, You will never use this much RAM. Don’t Install any apps other than trusted sites on rooted devices. Third-party site apps can contain some background codes. So, Check twice before installing those apps. If you want to return to stock firmware, flash Sony Xperia XZ1 Pie 9.0 firmware. If you face any problems during this process, comment below.
Selva Kumar is an Android Devices Enthusiast, Who Can Talk and Write About Anything If You Give a Hint About the respective devices. He is a Computer Science Graduate and Certified Android Developer, Making His Career towards this Technology. He is always eager to try new Android devices — not only Software level but Hardware-level Also. Beyond this, He is a Good Swimmer, Guitarist.