Google Maps is an essential app that helps us navigate our world. It also provides important information about places we want to visit, shop, or dine. While business owners can add information about their companies via Google My Business, user contributions such as photos, reviews, and answering questions also play a crucial role in making Google Maps a vast and detailed source of information. Google’s Local Guides program incentivizes user contributions by offering rewards and gamification. This program, a global community of over 100 million people, allows individuals to use their local knowledge to answer questions, share photos, and post online reviews about their communities. In the following article, we will explain how the Google Local Guides program works, how to earn Local Guide points and the benefits of being a Local Guide.
Table of Contents
How does the Google Local Guides program work?
The Google Local Guides program works by rewarding users with points for every contribution they make to Google Maps. There are different types of gifts, and each contribution is worth additional points. For example, giving a star rating to a local business earns you one point, while posting a video earns you seven points. As you gain more Local Guide points, you increase your Local Guide level and get a badge next to your profile picture on reviews and photos.
How do I get Local Guide points?
There are many ways to get Local Guide points; the easiest way is by giving a star rating to a local business. Answering questions and verifying facts about a company is another way to earn points. Other ways to earn points are posting a photo, making an edit to a place, posting a video, writing a review, and adding missing areas or roads. Each of these contributions is worth a different amount of points.
How to Earn Rewards and Points Using Google Local Guide?
How to earn one point?
The simplest way to earn Local Guide points is by giving a star rating to a local business. Give it five stars if you had a great experience at a new Thai restaurant. Give it five stars if you always get excellent service at your local grocery store.
How to earn three points?
Sometimes people have questions about a location. They answer these questions and verify facts about the business nets you three points. Does the site have an ATM? What are their holiday hours? Providing answers to these questions helps people find the information they need.
How to earn five points?
Posting a photo to Google Maps earns you five points. You can share pictures of menus, storefronts, and features like accessibility ramps. Avoid posting selfies, but do post photos of your food and drink.
Making an edit to a place is another way to earn five points. If the information about a location on Maps is out of date, incomplete, or wrong, you can edit it to make it accurate.
How to earn seven points?
Sometimes a photo is not enough to capture the essence of a location, and that’s when a video comes in handy. Posting a video to Google Maps is an excellent way to earn seven points. Keep the video under 30 seconds and focus on what makes the location unique.
How to earn ten points?
- Review a business: You can earn ten points by leaving a review for a business on Google Maps. To do this, navigate to the business’s page on Google Maps, click “Write a review,” and share your thoughts about your experience at the company.
- Add photos: You can earn ten points by adding pictures to a business’s Google Maps listing. Navigate to the business’s page on Google Maps, click “Add a photo,” and upload an image of the company or something related.
- Edit information: You can earn ten points by editing incorrect or outdated information on a business’s Google Maps listing. To do this, navigate to the business’s page on Google Maps, click “Suggest an edit,” and make the necessary changes.
How to earn fifteen points?
- Answer questions: You can earn fifteen points by answering questions about a business on Google Maps. Navigate to the business’s page on Google Maps, click “Questions & answers,” and provide helpful responses to any questions other users have asked.
- Add new places: You can earn fifteen points by adding new sites to Google Maps. To do this, click the “Contribute” button in the Google Maps app or website, select “Add a missing place,” and provide the necessary information about the new place.
What are the rewards for being a Local Guide?
As a Local Guide, you can earn rewards such as early access to Google features and products, exclusive perks from Google partners, and invitations to events and meetups. The rewards you receive are based on your level, the quality and quantity of your contributions, and your participation in Local Guide activities.
Why Should You Sign Up for the Google Local Guides Program?
There are various reasons to consider when thinking about joining the Google Local Guides program:
- Help others discover new places: By sharing your knowledge of local businesses and landmarks, you can help others find new places they might not have known otherwise.
- Improve Google Maps: By contributing reviews, photos, and other information, you can help improve the accuracy and usefulness of Google Maps.
- Earn rewards: As you contribute more, you can earn rewards such as early access to new Google features, discounts on Google products, and more.
How to Sign Up for the Google Local Guides Program?
If you are a Google Maps user and love exploring new places, you might want to consider signing up for the Google Local Guides program. As a Local Guide, you can contribute your knowledge and expertise to Google Maps, making it a better tool for everyone. This article will show you how to sign up for the program and share your valuable insights.
Signing up for the Google Local Guides program is easy and only takes a few minutes. Here’s how to do it:
- Open your web browser and go to the Google Maps Local Guides page.
- Click on the “Get Started” button.
- Enter the city you live in and click “Next.”
- Agree to Google’s program rules.
- Choose your Local Guides level.
- Click on “Join Local Guides.”
- Start contributing to Google Maps.
Signing Up to Local Guides through the Google Maps App?
If you prefer to use the Google Maps app, you can sign up for the Local Guides program using these steps:
- Open the Google Maps app on your device.
- Tap the profile icon in the upper-right corner.
- Select “Your profile” from the pop-up menu.
- On your profile page, scroll down and tap “Contribute.”
- Agree to the program rules.
- Choose your Local Guides level.
- Tap “Join Local Guides.”
- Start contributing to Google Maps.
How to Contribute to Google Maps?
Once you have signed up for the Local Guides program, you can contribute to Google Maps. Here are some ways to get started:
- Write reviews of local businesses and landmarks.
- Add photos of companies and landmarks.
- Answer questions about local businesses and landmarks.
- Add missing places to Google Maps.
- Edit incorrect information about local businesses and landmarks.
Can anyone become a Local Guide?
Yes, anyone with a Google account can become a Local Guide.
Do I have to live in a specific location to be a Local Guide?
No, you can be a Local Guide for any location you know about, regardless of where you live.
How long does earning points and leveling up as a Local Guide take?
The time it takes to earn points and level up varies based on the quality and quantity of your contributions. However, with consistent effort, you can level up relatively quickly.
What are the benefits of being a Local Guide?
As a Local Guide, you can earn points for contributing to Google Maps by writing reviews, adding photos, and correcting information. You can redeem those points for rewards like early access to Google products, exclusive events, and more.
How many points do I need to become a Level 5 Local Guide?
To become a Level 5 Local Guide, you must earn at least 500 points.
Can I earn points for adding a new location to Google Maps?
Yes, you can earn points for adding new places to Google Maps. However, these points may take longer to show up in your account than points for other contributions.
Can I lose my Local Guide status?
If you violate Google’s Local Guides program policies, your account may be downgraded or deactivated.
How do I report a problem with a review or photo on Google Maps?
Suppose you see a review or photo on Google Maps that violates Google’s policies. In that case, you can report it by clicking on the three dots in the top right corner of the evaluation or photo and selecting “Report a problem.”
How long does it take for my contributions to appear on Google Maps?
Your contributions may take a few minutes to several weeks to appear on Google Maps, depending on the type of contribution and how quickly Google can review it.
Can I earn points for correcting inaccurate information on Google Maps?
Yes, you can earn points for updating erroneous information on Google Maps. Just make sure to provide accurate information when making your correction.
Can I earn money as a Local Guide?
No, the Local Guides program does not pay you for your contributions. However, you can earn rewards like early access to Google products, exclusive events, and more.
Can I join the Local Guides program if I live in a small town or rural area?
You can still join the Local Guides program and contribute to Google Maps, even living in a small town or rural area. Your contributions can help others look for information about your site.
Becoming a Local Guide on Google Maps is an excellent way to share your knowledge and experiences with others while also earning rewards. With the help of the tips and tricks outlined in the Local Guides program, you can quickly and easily earn points and work up the Local Guide levels. Signing up for the program is easy, and there are many benefits to becoming a Local Guide.
The Local Guides program is perfect for those who love exploring new places and want to help others do the same. Whether you are a frequent traveler, a foodie, or a history buff, there is always something new to discover and share with others on Google Maps. So, if you want to give back to your community and share your experiences with others, sign up for the Google Local Guides program today!
Selva Ganesh is the Chief Editor of this Blog. He is a Computer Science Engineer, An experienced Android Developer, Professional Blogger with 8+ years in the field. He completed courses about Google News Initiative. He runs Android Infotech which offers Problem Solving Articles around the globe.