Compare with fitness bands, SmartWatches have a lot of features, and they can work as a standalone. Most of the people nowadays prefer fitness bands because it fulfills most of the need for a SmartWatch. The one problem with SmartWatches is power efficiency. They can’t give the same battery backup like fitness bands, Where you can get 20-30 days backup for a single charge. But SmartWatches can provide battery backup from 24 hours to 7 Days based on the features they offer and your usage time. When your Watch has a separate data connection, GPS won’t give much backup. The processor should have better efficiency to give better standby time. Qualcomm Introduces Snapdragon Wear 4100+ with High Energy Efficiency. Along with better efficiency, there are a lot of improvements that are done in this processor.
When Qualcomm Introduces Snapdragon Wear 4100+?
On June 30, 2020, Qualcomm officially announced Snapdragon Wear 4100 and 4100+. Most of the SmartWatch manufacturers prefer 4100+. So, We will look at this processor more than 4100. Both processors are based on SDM429w or SDA429w. The difference between them is a co-processor, which is missing from the regular 4100 processor. The processor introduction is not an announcement. They are ready to ship. So, We can soon see SmartWatchses with Snapdragon Wear 4100+ processor.
Snapdragon Wear 4100+ Specs
- ARM Cortex A53, Quad-core CPU with 1.7 GHz speed. 12 nm technology.
- Qualcomm Hexagon QDSP6 V56 Digital Signal Processor (ADSP(Analog) and MDSP(Multi-Processor)).
- We can’t expect 5G technology in Wear OS Soon because mobiles do not yet settle in most of the people’s hands. It comes with an integrated X5 LTE modem that supports LTE TDD and LTE FDD.
- 802.11a/b/g/n Wi-Fi support.
- To communicate with mobile, headsets, and other devices, you have Bluetooth 5.0 and 4.2.
- NFC support.
- Location access using Beidou, Galileo, GLONASS, GPS.
- USB 2.0 version.
- 16 MP Camera support with 1080p video capture. But most of the manufacturers don’t put the camera in SmartWatches.
- For security, it has Qualcomm Trusted Execution Environment (TEE).
- Wear OS Support.
- Snapdragon Wear 4100+ can give 85% better performance compared with Snapdragon Wear 3100.
- With the help of a 12 nm processor, It can give you better battery efficiency up to 25%.
- All of the Smartphones connect with SmartWatch via Bluetooth. With version 5.0 support, It can make better connectivity and transmission speeds.
- Ambient mode, aka Always-on Display(AOD), can now support up to 64K colors. Most of the manufacturers use white, black combinations. So, With the help of this color base and better battery efficiency, we can see a lot of custom-based AOD designs. With the help of 64K colors based themes and icons, Manufacturers can give better backup when they used correctly in the sports modes because Sports modes don’t require video or photo level color combinations.
- With Dual dedicated DSPs(Digital Signal Processors), it can allocate the power dynamically. It will play a significant role in the term of power efficiency.
When can we expect Snapdragon Wear 4100+ based SmartWatches?
Most of the Upcoming SmartWatches in 2020 will have Snapdragon Wear 4100+ processor. But currently, Mobvoi announced TicWatch Pro 3 would have this processor. Fossil can use this processor, and Most of the Wear OS-based SmartWatches will have Snapdragon Wear 4100+ processor. Samsung will use its custom skin OS and Exynos processor in its Galaxy watches.
SmartWatches should have valid reasons and features to buy them. When they can give only Fitness level features, There is no use of purchasing those SmartWatches with high-price tag. People avoid these watches because of the standby time. With the help of 64K colors in Always on Display and 12nm technology, we can expect better battery performance Snapdragon Wear 4100+ processor when manufacturers correctly implement their watches. If they messed up, there is no use of optimizations.
Qualcomm always thinks and release products for users. But they can’t deliver what they promised when manufacturers did wrong. Recently they announced Snapdragon 690 processor, which will help o access 5G technology in budget range mobiles. What are your thoughts about Wear 4100+ processor? Did you feel manufacturers can make better affordable SmartWatches using this processor? Comment below.
Selva Ganesh is the Chief Editor of this Blog. He is a Computer Science Engineer, An experienced Android Developer, Professional Blogger with 8+ years in the field. He completed courses about Google News Initiative. He runs Android Infotech which offers Problem Solving Articles around the globe.
Leave a Reply