The problem with the MediaTek processor does not only have low GPU performance. The development process from Developers. When you have a Snapdragon processor in your Xiaomi mobiles, You will get the Root methods, recovery, and Custom ROMs within a few week’s release. But When you have a MediaTek processor, sometimes the necessary Unlock bootloader process also can take a while. Fortunately, after the Magisk Patched method, most mobiles can gain root access without a custom recovery. In the following way, We explained how you could root your Xiaomi Redmi Note 9 MediaTek Processor mobile on the Android 10 version. It is a Magisk method; you can’t install custom ROMs. But you can install root access required apps.
After root, you will lose official updates. You have to update your mobile manually. So, Before proceeding with the process, you should know why you need to do it. So, If you are a regular user, you can try some alternatives for your purpose that doesn’t require rooting your mobile. When you are a regular root apps user and developer, you can follow the below guide to achieve root on your mobile.
Should you need to Root Xiaomi Redmi Note 9 Android 10?
We thank XDA Developer- topjohnwu and N3OMOD (Who successfully tested this method). Without their hard work, We can’t make this method. Coming to root, you should have a proper reason, and you know what you are doing. Yes, with a minimum of 3/4 GB RAM and MediaTek Helio G85 processor, You can use this mobile for basic tasks without root for 2-3 Years If you use correctly. Software is better compared with other manufacturers, Custom skin OS. Don’t root because everybody is saying when root your mobile, it can become the fastest car in the world. No. Rooting is to extract some performance from the device. But, you already have Powerful specs and software. So, If you are addicted to some root apps, you can root. But, if you want to test, I won’t recommend it.
How to Root Xiaomi Redmi Note 9 Android 10 version? (MediaTek variant- merlin)
Xiaomi Redmi Note 9 International Variants come with a flexible bootloader other than some carrier locked devices. It means that different smartphone variants can be easily rooted. Also, the device can accept to install TWRP recovery or any other custom recovery file/app alike.
Most of the methods, We follow Magisk to root our device. TWRP recovery is a custom recovery file that must be installed on your devices because you can root them successfully. In this article, we explained the easiest method to follow and install Magisk on Xiaomi Redmi Note 9. However, the tool required for rooting this device is the Magisk App.
You can install TWRP Recovery once it is available for your Xiaomi Redmi Note 9 to gain Custom Recovery access. Before sharing the tutorial, you may want to know that, without the TWRP recovery present on your device, you can not install any custom ROM or firmware. Does it seem complicated? Relax, everything will be explained briefly in bullets.
Things to check out for;
Make sure your device battery is above 50%.
You should back up your current files and data, full data loss process (save them on external storage).
Enable USB Debugging Mode and OEM Unlock on your mobile. To do this; go to settings >>> about >>> Tap on the “Build Number” 7-10 times consistently to enable “Developer Options,” then go to the “Developer Options” and enable USB Debugging Mode, OEM Unlock. There is no complicated process in Xiaomi Redmi Note 9.
Also, download the ADB drivers. Install it on your PC.
Unlock Xiaomi Redmi Note 9 Bootloader using ADB and Fastboot
- Go to the official Mi Bootloader Unlock website and log in with your Mi Account.
- Enter your Mobile details like phone number, IMEI, reason. You will get the confirmation code on your mobile. Enter the confirmation code on the Mi website and request for unlocking. You will receive a confirmation mail after the approval in 2-10 Days.
Install the Mi Flash Tool in the received mail. Log in with your Same Mi Account, which is used to get the software.
- Switch off your device. Connect your mobile to the PC. Then, enter into Fastboot mode. To do this; Press and hold down the Volume Down + Power buttons at the same time for some time. It will boot your mobile into Fastboot mode.
After you successfully boot into Fastboot mode, Select Unlock. It will take 2-3 minutes to finish the process. After the successful process completion, Reboot your mobile.
Check again enable “Developer Options,” then go to the “Developer Options” and enable USB Debugging Mode, OEM Unlock. Sometimes they disabled themselves after the boot.
Preparing Patched Boot Image file
- Download Xiaomi Redmi Note 9 Firmware and save it on your PC. Your Current OS version and Downloaded Version should be the Same.
- You can use Phone Info to know your firmware version.
- Download 7Zip-ZS Install on your PC. Extract the files in downloaded firmware using 7Zip-ZS. You will get a lot of data. Copy boot.img file to your mobile and Vbmeta.img to your PC folder where you installed ADB drivers. You can find the Vbmeta file inside the firmware-update folder in the extracted firmware.
- Download Magisk Manager (Download Latest version) or Magisk canary and Install it on your mobile. Open Installed Magisk and Select Install in Magisk; it will ask For a zip file and Patch Recovery Image File. Select the Boot Image file.
Navigate to your copied Boot Image File and patch the file as .img format.
- Wait for the process to complete; in the end, you will get a magisk patched .img file. The .img file will be in the same folder where you have the boot.img.
- Copy the magisk_patched.img file to your PC. Rename the file to boot.img again.
Flash Patched Boot Image and Vbmeta Image using ADB and Fastboot
- Switch off your device. Then, enter into Fastboot mode. To do this- Press and hold down the Volume Down + Power buttons at the same time for some time.
Press the Volume Up button to continue when you see the warning message.
Now, connect the Xiaomi Redmi Note 9 mobile to the computer via USB cable.
Launch the fastboot on your computer. Open a Command prompt on your PC and type the below command.
- fastboot devices
- It should display the connected devices. If you didn’t get the device, restart the command prompt and Disconnect and Connect your Xiaomi Redmi Note 9. If you are detected, type the below commands one by one and hit Enter.
- fastboot –disable-verity –disable-verification flash vbmeta vbmeta.img (Disables system changes)
fastboot erase userdata
- The above command will clear user data following the above command execute the below commands.
- fastboot erase cache
fastboot flash boot boot.img
- The above command will flash our patched boot file into your mobile.
- fastboot reboot
- After the process complete, Press Volume Down+ Power button to exit Fastboot mode. When the screen goes off, Immediately Press Volume Up + Power buttons to boot into Recovery mode.
- After entering into Stock recovery mode, Go to Wipe Data/Factory Reset and Select Yes to wipe data. It will erase your saved data in your device. Don’t Boot into OS; read below Boot stages before booting.
Boot into Rooted OS
- Press and Hold Volume Up + Power buttons, release all the keys once the Bootloader warning appears. You have to set up your device like a new device. You can select the root status using the Root Checker.
- Stock Recovery Boot – Press and Hold Volume Up + Power buttons, release keys while you hold the Volume Up key.
- You will see Magisk Manager in your App drawer. If you can’t find the app, you can install Magisk Manager on your mobile.
In my opinion, you don’t need root for your Xiaomi Redmi Note 9 Android 10 version. If you thought you could Improve Performance By Root; With the MediaTek Helio G85 Octa-Core processor and 3/4 GB RAM, your device can perform well. If you don’t know how much RAM you need, You will never use this much RAM. It would help if you did not Boot into Normal OS Booting by pressing the power button after firmware flash. It will boot you to a Non-Rooted environment. So, you should pay attention to the first recovery boot step.
If you root your device, because of the battery drain issues, you can optimize your battery without root. Beyond this, if your purpose is to Disable Bloatware apps, you can do that without using this method. This method is not based on TWRP custom recovery. Thus you can’t install Custom ROMs. When you have any suggestions or doubts, comment below.
Selva Kumar is an Android Devices Enthusiast, Who Can Talk and Write About Anything If You Give a Hint About the respective devices. He is a Computer Science Graduate and Certified Android Developer, Making His Career towards this Technology. He is always eager to try new Android devices — not only Software level but Hardware-level Also. Beyond this, He is a Good Swimmer, Guitarist.
Leave a Reply